1926–1950: Divisions

[metaslider id=2065 cssclass=” alignnormal”]

From the late 1920s, the freshly built Walsh Bay was disrupted by another major infrastructure project: the Sydney Harbour Bridge. This project had been first discussed many decades earlier but was becoming imperative as a conduit for motor vehicles between the city’s north and south shores.

Engineer John Bradfield designed the  bridge with its now-legendary style of tied-arch construction, and the southern access ramp began to be built in 1927. The new motorway ramp soared above the archaeological site of Dawes Battery.